HEY Paddle People!
This summer is shaping up to be one of the busier summers we’ve had in this chapter of Team River Runner – and I wanted to make sure you all have as many opportunities to participate as possible. Here’s what is currently going on through May and June:
- 2019 Penn State Hershey Rec Fest event briefing (May 18th)
- Class 3 Whitewater OuttaSight Potomac Paddle (Memorial Day Weekend)
- Izaac Walton League Youth Field Day (June 1st)
- Overbrook School for the Blind Pool Session (June 3rd)
- TRR National Conference (June 20-26)
- 2019 PA Rendezvous (June 26-30)
2019 Penn State Hershey Rec Fest event briefing (May 18th)
This event has already occurred, but I wanted to brief everyone on just how awesome it was. A TINY group of two TRR staffers and three TRR volunteers, along with the aid of five pool-side helpers, put 39 boaters in the pool over the course of 7.5 hours. Everyone did so well – I can’t even begin to say how many smiles we saw that day. We met several new Veterans, including a fellow Paratrooper-Medic from the famed 501st Parachute Infantry Division (think parachuting into Alaska). We hope to see many of these fine individuals at upcoming events. To all who came and all who helped, THANK YOU!
Class 3 Whitewater OuttaSight Potomac Paddle (Memorial Day Weekend)
A stalwart team of whitewater kayakers will be making a pilgrimage to the Bloomington section of the Potomac River, running the river from WV to MD. This trip will be an OuttaSight event (https://svtrr.org/outtasight) with trained guides and safety boaters. If you’ve not signed up and are interested in going, space is limited. Contact Jenn Eaton (cc’d above) for details.
Izaac Walton League Youth Field Day (June 1st)
TRR will be teaching kids at the Izaac Walton League in Dover, PA (http://www.yorkiwla.org/youth-field-day-1.html) the essentials for safe canoeing and paddle sports. We will need approximately five volunteers on the water and possibly two or three ground crew to help out. If you are interested in assisting this fine program, let me know (email/phone in my tagline below).
Overbrook School for the Blind Pool Session (June 3rd)
Jenn Eaton, TRR’s National Kids are OuttaSight (KAOS) Coordinator, will be heading up a day of fundamental kayak instruction in the pool at the Overbrook School for the Blind. This will be a great day working with kids who have low vision or are blind, teaching them how to kayak safely using TRR’s renowned OuttaSight guiding techniques. If you are interested in helping out with this awesome program, contact Jenn (cc’d above).
TRR National Conference (June 20-26)
TRR’s National Adaptive Paddling Conference will be held at the Hidden Valley Resort in Hidden Valley, PA. THIS EVENT IS FULL, but I wanted to let you know some of the exciting things going on.
- American Canoe Association Instructor Certification for levels 1 through 4
- OuttaSight Guide Leader Endorsement (both flat-water and whitewater) – Jenn Eaton and I are the primary instructors for this session (yay us!)
- Chapter-Strengthening Sessions (CPR/AED certification, Intro to Adaptive Paddling, Build & Sustain Veteran Programs, Volunteer Management, Risk Management, and much more)
2019 PA Rendezvous (June 26-30)
- Who: Eligible individuals include military veterans or active duty service members with permanent disabilities.
- When: June 26th – 30th
- What: Incredible rivers and creeks await you in Ohiopyle, Pennsylvania and surrounding areas. Pennsylvania is the mecca of some of some of the most fun whitewater in the Country – come share in the fun and camaraderie during Team River Runner’s PA Rendezvous.
- Based on the interest and ability of the paddlers who attend, local rivers and creeks will be selected each day.
- Cost: Free! Individuals are responsible for getting themselves to and from Ohiopyle but once there, lodging, meals, and instruction is provided. Boats and equipment can also be provided if needed.
- Lodging: A group house just outside Ohiopyle, PA has been rented for everyone to share. The total group size will be around 15-20 paddlers.
- How to Sign Up: If you are interested or have more questions, please contact Dana@teamriverrunner.org
There is much more on the way through the rest of the summer, but I have to have something to write about next month! Until then, keep your paddle moving and your smile wide!
#SVTRR #TRR #TeamRiverRunner